"Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing, but nobody else does". This would be my favorite business quote by author, Steuart Henderson Britt. Advertising is necessary. If you have just started your small business and are working out your marketing plan, you are no doubt thinking "where am I going to get the best bang for my buck?". The correct marketing is essential to raise that all important awareness of your brand.
There is an array of opportunities that are available to you which will enable you to market your business for a minimal investment. Below are some examples:
- If you own a bricks and mortar business, you can place colourful Bali flags out the front. These are great for attracting attention and you can buy them on Ebay for around $7 each. You can get your company logo screen printed on them for a small additional cost.
- Advertising on Facebook is effective, but don't expect to reach a broad audience with out paying for it! If you have a business Facebook page with 5,000 followers, whenever you post something, this does not mean that all of your 5,000 followers will see it. Facebook is a business. They make money from paid advertising, so they limit your audience reach when you post and don't pay. For an effective strategy on Facebook advertising, we are happy to talk to you about this.
- Reduce your spend on Yellow pages / white pages. If your target audience is anyone up to the age of 55, research shows that the vast majority of people are going straight to Google for assistance. Very few people open the Yellow pages book to search for products and services.
- Attend local networking events. You are the face of your business, connect with other like minded people and you should be able to all benefit. If you dislike networking events, don't put pressure on yourself. Take a friend along and just relax. Enjoy a drink and treat the experience as a casual gathering. It may take two or three events before you start to feel comfortable!
- Create a "Google my Business" account. If you want your business to show up in a local search this is absolutely necessary. This will make sure that when people Google your business, it will appear in Google maps and Google+ You can set up an account here: Google my Business
I hope this helps you ladies and gents and if there is anything we can help you with, please get in touch. I am off to buy some tasty ingredients for an Asian Beef Stir fry!